How to make almond crocanti for your desserts
In our recipe blog we want to explain you how to make almond crocanti at home.
This simple crocanti recipe is not usually found since crocanti almonds can be bought ready-made in supermarkets, which we do not recommend since it is usually made with low quality almonds and uses a lot of sugar to caramelize. We, experts in elaborating supreme quality artisan nougat, can tell you how we do it.
This crocanti that you are going to make is the same that we prepare to make our Jijona nougat ice cream recipe.
Almond crocanti or crunchy almonds?
Almond crocanti or almond crocanti is the same thing, although it is called by different names depending on the geographical region. The word crocanti comes from Crocante, which is a pastry that crunches when chewed.
Crocanti is a preparation of roasted nuts used in many dishes, both savory and sweet desserts.
To make crocanti we use our favorite nut, the Marcona almond, although you can use other nuts such as cashew or pistachio, even a mixture of them to our taste.
Crocante almonds serve both as a garnish for dishes and as a crunchy texture and toasted flavor.
Ingredients to make Crocanti
Write down these ingredients to make Crocanti . These ingredients will adapt to your recipe, if you need to make a large cake you can double the quantities.
- 200 grams raw and peeled marcona almonds. (Another variety can be used, but we recommend this one).
- 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil or mild olive oil. (a die of butter can also be used)
Recipe for Crocanti Almonds
To make almond crocanti follow this recipe:
- In a plastic bag or in a mortar and pestle we have to break the almonds into small cubes. There should not be a paste left, a few strokes will suffice.
- Place the almonds in a large non-stick frying pan with the oil over low/medium heat until toasted. We recommend correcting the temperature if it is too hot. Remember to stir constantly so that no almonds burn.
- When they take on a toasted color, add the sugar and stir well with a spatula until all the almonds are covered with sugar.
- When the mixture becomes caramel colored (honey colored), turn off the heat and continue stirring. Once the temperature drops, let them cool.
- Once the almond crunchy is done, we must put it in a glass jar, close it and move it to separate the cubes that have been stuck together.
The oil may not be added but provides more flavor to the almond.
If you prefer, you can buy sliced nuts or cut them as you prefer. Be creative!